– noun: the type of sexual, romantic, emotional/spiritual attraction one has the capacity to feel for some others, generally labeled based on the gender relationship between the person and the people they are attracted to. While lesbian, gay, and bisexual (LGB) are types of sexual orientation there is an array of other orientations that you can learn about more on the LGBTQ+ Pride Center page.
- noun: behavior that grants preferential treatment to heterosexual people, reinforces the idea that heterosexuality is somehow better or more “right” than queerness, and/or makes other sexual/romantic orientations invisible.
- noun: the assumption, in individuals and/or in institutions, that everyone is heterosexual and that heterosexuality is superior to all other sexual/romantic orientations. Leads to invisibility and stigmatizing of other sexual/romantic orientations: when learning a woman is married, asking her what her husband’s name is. Heteronormativity also leads us to assume that only masculine men and feminine women are straight.
- noun: an umbrella term for a range of negative attitudes (e.g., fear, anger, intolerance, resentment, erasure, or discomfort) that one may have toward LGBTQ+ folx. The term can also connote a fear, disgust, or dislike of being perceived as LGBTQ+.
- noun: a range of negative attitudes (e.g., fear, anger, intolerance, invisibility, resentment, erasure, or discomfort) that one may have or express toward bisexual individuals. Biphobia can come from and be seen within the LGBTQ+ community as well as straight society.
- noun: the fear of, discrimination against, or hatred of Trans* people, the Trans* community, or gender ambiguity. Transphobia can be seen within the LGBQ+ community, as well as in general society.
- adj.: a gender description for when someone’s sex assigned at birth and gender identity correspond in the expected way (e.g., someone who was assigned male at birth, and identifies as a man). The word cisgender can also be shortened to “cis.”
- 1 adj.: a gender description for someone who has transitioned (or is transitioning) from living as one gender to another.
- 2 adj.: an umbrella term for anyone whose sex assigned at birth and gender identity do not correspond in the expected way (e.g., someone who was assigned male at birth, but does not identify as a man).
- 1 adj.: a gender expression descriptor that indicates a non-traditional gender presentation (masculine woman or feminine man).
- 2 adj.: a gender identity label that indicates a person who identifies outside of the gender binary. Often abbreviated as “GNC.”
– also known as genderqueer,
- 1 adj.: a gender identity label often used by people who do not identify with the binary of man/woman.
- 2 adj: an umbrella term for many gender non-conforming or non-binary identities (e.g., agender, bigender, genderfluid).
- noun: behavior that grants preferential treatment to cisgender people, reinforces the idea that being cisgender is somehow better or more “right” than being transgender, and/or makes other genders invisible.