End of Semester Care/While you Wait
When classes are in session, we provide a range of mental health services. Once final exams begin, our counselors are available for urgent, crisis-related services and will resume all services the first day of the following semester. Our website also has a number of self-help resources and recorded workshops covering a range of mental health concerns. Routinely, initial appointments may take up to 10 business days to be scheduled. At extremely busy times of the semester, the wait time may be longer.
During the final weeks of the semester, CAPS primarily offers single session appointments. The focus of these sessions is on addressing the specific, immediate concerns of students and identifying resources, coping skills, and additional support that will contribute to students’ academic success. Depending on the nature and outcome of the session, there may be some limited options for follow-up.
Given the high volume of appointments and the short amount of time at the end of the semester, wait-times to the first appointment and between sessions may be extended. Additionally, follow-up appointments may be brief. This is because we are trying to optimize our services for as many students as possible during this stressful time of the semester. We strongly encourage students to capitalize on the many resources CAPS has available while waiting for an appointment or during the time between semesters.
Here are some things for you to explore:
- Download the TELUS Health Student Support app app to access real-time virtual counseling 24/7 via chat or phone, schedule short-term counseling appointments via telehealth with the same provider, and explore an extensive on-demand content library.
- Check out our Self-Help page for videos, information, tips, and resources on popular topics, including:
- Explore brief videos:
- Drop in to one of our virtual Let’s Talk programs at the LGBTQ+ Pride Center, DMS, or ISS (not available between semesters)
- Peruse our social media platforms; many posts contain resources and tips based on current events!
- Call our HelpLine at (979) 845-2700 for support anytime between 4pm and 8am during the week and 24 hours on the weekends when classes are in session.