While you Wait for your Appointment
CAPS' Service Model
CAPS’ primary function is to support students’ mental health needs in order to meet their academic goals within a time window framed by service eligibility, class schedules, student obligations, CAPS resources as well as our Scope of Practice document. As such, CAPS services are short-term and goal-oriented and align with the TAMU academic semester calendar. Our average session number is 3 to 4. Over 75% of students average 1 to 5 sessions. We strive to wrap up services with students once classes have ended and as finals begin. However, when clinically indicated due to significant mental health concerns, we may extend treatment beyond the parameters of the semester calendar.
End of the Semester
During the final weeks of the semester, CAPS primarily offers single session appointments. The focus of these sessions is on addressing the specific, immediate concerns of students and identifying resources, coping skills, and additional support that will contribute to students’ academic success. Depending on the nature and outcome of the session, there may be some limited options for follow-up.
Given the high volume of appointments and the short amount of time at the end of the semester, wait-times to the first appointment and between sessions may be extended. Additionally, follow-up appointments may be brief. This is because we are trying to optimize our services for as many students as possible during this stressful time of the semester. We strongly encourage students to capitalize on the many resources CAPS has available while waiting for an appointment.
Here are some things for you to explore while you wait:
- Check out the many videos and handouts we have available on our Workshop webpage. Topics include:
- Accepting Emotions
- Explore our Self-Help page for information, tips, and resources on popular topics, including:
- Coping with COVID
- Mental Health and Wellness Apps
- Drop in to one of our virtual Let’s Talk programs at the LGBTQ+ Pride Center, DMS, or ISS
- Peruse our social media platforms; many posts contain resources and tips based on current events!
- Call our HelpLine at (979) 845-2700 for support anytime between 4pm and 8am during the week and 24 hours on the weekends when classes are in session.