Updates to CAPS Services & Referral Resources
CAPS remains committed to supporting students' mental health and wellbeing. In conjunction with Texas A&M’s guidance on social distancing, CAPS services have been modified in the following ways:
Note - Phone calls to students will likely come from a blocked number or with no Caller ID provided. Students are responsible for ensuring their device is able to receive such calls.
For students initiating services
CAPS services will be provided exclusively through phone consultations. Schedule an Initial Phone Consultation.
- We are here to serve our students. If you do not see a time that works for you in our online scheduling system, please call us at 979-845-4427 and we'll work to get you connected with a counselor.
For students in crisis
If you are currently in a life threatening situation or your safety is at risk, call 911 or visit your nearest emergency room.
Consistent with TAMU guidance on social distancing, CAPS will only be providing individual consultations by phone. For current clients, CAPS will reach out through a secure message with more details about moving appointments to phone calls. Clients may also send a secure message through the CAPS portal to seek information from their counselor.
Groups and workshops
In-person groups and workshops have been suspended. Some of our workshops are now available as short videos on our Workshops page.
Focus 2 is a self-paced, interactive career planning program designed to help you explore college majors and plan your career based on your interests, values, skills, personality, and professional goals. It is provided free of charge for currently enrolled Texas A&M students.
Note: HelpLine remains operational during this time. Check out other Emergency Resources as needed along with our Self-Help page.
CAPS encourages students to explore various resources if they feel they are in need of ongoing counseling that cannot currently be provided through our department.
Resources provided here are intended as a starting point for identifying and researching services to fit your unique needs and circumstances. We encourage you to be informed about your options and to ask questions about the nature of the services and associated business practices for these options and others you may encounter.
- Telebehavioral Care at Texas A&M
- Must live in the Brazos Valley to receive services
- Call 979-436-0700 and leave a voicemail
- Currently, staff will call back from a blocked number
- Betterhelp Telehealth Counseling Services
- Major Insurance Companies Accepted
- “Whenever there is anything that interferes with your happiness or prevents you from achieving your goals, we may be able to help. We also have counselors who are specialized in specific issues, such as stress, anxiety, relationships, parenting, depression, addictions, eating, sleeping, trauma, anger, family conflicts, LGBT matters, grief, religion, self-esteem and more.”
- Telehealth Certification Institute
- This site allows for clients to search for therapists who provide telehealth counseling services and client phone consultations within the state of Texas and throughout the country.
- Open Path Psychotherapy Collective
- This group is a non-profit nationwide network of mental health professionals that provides in-office and telehealth mental health counseling services.
- Services provided are at a low cost/reduced rate.
- Everhealth Psychiatry Services - Bryan, TX location
- Everhealth specializes in mental health and psychiatric services for all ages.
- Insurance: BCBS, Medicare, Advantage Medicare Plans with Amerigroup and Cigna Texas Health Springs, Medicaid, Managed Medicaid with Amerigroup, Superior,and Cigna Star Plus.
- Brazos Valley Psychiatry
- Please call to setup telehealth psychiatry services; possibility of having initial appointment in person.