Position, Salary, and Benefits
Each internship position, formally entitled "Psychology Intern," is a full-time (40 hours per week) university employee position. Consequently, interns are provided with certain employee benefits and are given opportunities to take advantage of others. These benefits are listed below.
- Sick Leave accrued at the rate of eight hours per month.
- Annual leave accrued at the rate of eight hours per month, which may be used after six consecutive months of employment have been completed.
- Staff holidays (12-15 days, most of which occur between fall and spring semesters).
- Release time for professional development activities (e.g., conventions, workshops).
- Basic Life/Basic AD&D if enrolled in an A&M System Health Plan (Employee $7,500 Life; $5,000 AD&D; Child $5,000 Life on each eligible dependent child).
- Required participation in TRS
- The following insurance programs are optional and available: (1)Health (2)Dental (3)Vision (4)Life (5)Long-term Disability Insurance (6)Accidental Death and Dismemberment
Coverage for you and your dependents can take effect either on your hire date or on your employer contribution eligibility date (the first of the month after your 60th day of employment) if you enroll before, on, or within seven days after your hire date. You will have to pay the total premium until your employer contribution eligibility date (this is an amount provided by the state legislature to help with your health insurance premiums). If you do not enroll in or waive (decline) health coverage by the end of your 45-day enrollment period, you will automatically be enrolled in a basic health/life package on your employer contribution eligibility date.
During the current 2020-2021 academic year, the State of Texas is providing for each employee the sum of $598.46 per month for employees without dependents and a variable amount up to $963.96 per month for employees with dependents, to be applied to health insurance and basic life insurance.
Intern salaries for the 2021-2022 Fiscal Year are projected to be $35,568. The following internship training year will begin on August 1, 2021 and will end on July 31, 2022. Salary will be received in monthly installments beginning September 1, 2021, and ending on August 1, 2022.